St. Rose Launches 75 Day Celebration of 75 Years in Southern Nevada
Seven Adrian Dominican Sisters arrived by train to found a hospital in 1947.
LAS VEGAS, April 26, 2022 –
Celebrating 75 years over 75 days
Dignity Health- St. Rose Dominican Hospitals 75th Anniversary Celebration
Main Lobby of the original Rose de Lima Hospital Campus
102 East Lake Mead Parkway, Henderson, NV 89015 (Lake Mead Pkwy between Water St. and Boulder Highway)When
Wednesday, April 20, 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon
Why it matters:
St. Rose is marking a milestone, celebrating its rich history which began when seven Adrian Dominican Sisters traveled by train from Michigan to assume operation of Henderson’s first and only hospital as it was being shut down after World War II.
From these roots, Nevada’s only faith-based, non-profit hospital grew with the community, playing a role in the stories of many southern Nevada families. Whether they were born in our hospitals, welcomed a child with us, or at some point allowed us to care for a loved one, tens of thousands of southern Nevadans have a tie to one of our hospitals.
For 75 days leading up to the June 27 anniversary, St. Rose will recount the history of the hospital in stories, photos, documents, and videos on our Social Media Channels. The tradition of St. Rose is part of the history of our community and we celebrate the legacy of humankindness left by the seven brave women who started it all.
- Mr. Thomas Burns, RN, BSA, MBA; President - Rose de Lima Hospital
- Sister Katie McGrail, O.P. - Vice President of Mission Integration (ret.)
- Sister Victoria Dalesandro, O.P. - Vice President of Mission Integration (ret.)
- Sister Mary Jean Williams, O.P. - Volunteer Eucharistic Minister
- VIDEO/PHOTO: Historic areas of original St. Rose Dominican Hospital, as well as renovated lobby, chapel, and Professional Education Center.
- B-ROLL: Historic photographs and additional interviews will be available.
By the numbers:
- Over 75 years, 84 Adrian Dominican Sisters have served more than 500 cumulative years at St. Rose.
- More than 100,000 Nevada babies have been born in St. Rose hospitals since 1947.
- With nearly 4,000 employees, St. Rose Dominican is one of Henderson’s largest employers.
- The Seven Adrian Dominican Sisters, in full habits, traveled by train from Michigan to the Nevada desert during a summer that still holds the record for 100-degree heat.
- Sister Felicia put an end to Henderson hospital segregation in 1947
- How a casino spin doctor and Sister Angelita turned an old family recipe into the hospital’s first major expansion.
- Why the cross atop the Siena Hospital bell tower is made of titanium.
Publish date:Tuesday, April 26, 2022