The Medicare Assistance Program (MAP) which encompasses the programs SHIP, SMP, and MIPPA, offers local one-on-one counseling to people with Medicare, their families, and caregivers. The MAP mission is also to empower and assist Medicare beneficiaries, their families, and caregivers to prevent, detect, and report health care fraud, errors, and abuse through outreach, counseling, and education.
MAP services are free and unbiased, and we won't pressure you into a plan or sell you any health insurance products. For assistance after hours and on the weekends, you may call Medicare directly as they are open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week at 1-800-Medicare ((800) 633-4227).
Prevent Medicare Fraud
- Treat your Medicare card and number like you would a credit card (keep it safe from thieves).
- Only share Medicare and health care identification cards and numbers with trusted sources.
- Rely on your doctors for medical advice and prescriptions, not advice or offers of medical services from unknown persons.
- Use a health care journal to record health care visits, services or equipment received.
- Save and review your Medicare Summary Notices (MSNs) and Explanations of Benefits (EOBs) for accuracy.
- Ask questions to your provider, Medicare plan, 1-800-Medicare or your local MAP at (702) 616-4926 when you:
- Don’t understand the charges billed
- Don’t think you received the service
- Feel the service was unnecessary
- Were charged for the same Medicare- covered product or service twice