Since opening our doors in June 2006, Mercy Gilbert's services have maintained steady growth to keep pace with the Town of Gilbert’s ever-growing population and medical needs. The hospital now has 197 beds, with more than 1,400 employees and more than 1,000 physicians on our medical staff.
In addition to our growth, Mercy Gilbert has achieved significant milestones and received impressive accolades from the community for quality care in bariatrics, cardiology, stroke care and chronic disease management.
A Long History of Healing
While Mercy Gilbert has a relatively short history, Dignity Health has a long history of serving the health care needs of Arizona communities. In fact, our own St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center was the first hospital in Phoenix.
In the East Valley, our Chandler Regional Medical Center has been serving families for more than 70 years. We also provide outstanding health care services at Urgent Care centers in Ahwatukee Foothills, Gilbert and Maricopa. The Mercy Gilbert name honors the Sisters of Mercy, our sponsoring congregation. The Sisters of Mercy was founded in the early 1800s in Ireland by Sister Catherine McAuley who had a special love for the virtue of mercy.
The Sisters' philosophy is based on the Judeo-Christian ethics of faith and love, and is expressed in service, compassion and the recognition of each person's basic human right to be treated with dignity and respect. The Sisters of Mercy first came to the Valley in 1892 to build Sacred Heart School in Phoenix. It wasn't long before they took up another cause: to care for the tuberculosis sufferers who often died alone. The Sisters were so moved by the sick that in 1895 they opened Arizona's first hospital, St. Joseph's Hospital.
In keeping with Mercy's commitment to healing, we are dedicated to providing programs that foster wellness of body, mind and spirit.