We invite you to consider St. Joseph's Medical Center located in Stockton, CA as you make your residency program selection.
Application to the Internal Medicine residency Program must be made through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP, utilizing the Electronic Residency Application Service (ER)A)S. Applicants must meet all requirements in order to be considered. Our application cycle is CLOSED
and all invitations have been extended. Thank you and best of luck this interview season.
Should you decide to proceed and apply to our program please include the following items along with your ERAS application:
- Personal Statement
- Current CV
- Dean’s letter from US grads/ECFMG from international medical school graduates. Note that approved schools are determined by using the California Medical Board’s List of Recognized Schools.
- Medical school transcripts
- For Academic Year (2021-2022 applicants, we are following AAIM’s recommendations of a minimum two letters of recommendations. One letter should be from an Internal Medicine faculty member, and the other from the Department of Medicine. We are strongly encouraging candidates to include a third letter from an Internal Medicine attending physician who has worked closely with you during your fourth year of medical school if that opportunity was available to you.
- Graduation from an approved medical school determined by using the California Medical Board’s list of recognized schools within the last two years
- USMLE or COMLEX Level 1 and Step 2-CK/COMLEX Level 2-CE results. If you were not able to sit for USMLE Step 2-CK/COMLEX Level 2-PE, please make a notation on your application. Supporting documentation of canceled exam dates may be requested at a later date.
- Maximum one failure in either USMLE Step 1/COMLEX Level 1 or USMLE Step 2- CK/COMLEX Level 2-CE
- No failures in USMLE Step 2-CS/COMLEX Level 2-PE
- Photographs are appreciated, but not required
International Medical Graduates (IMGs: In addition to the requirements listed above, IMGs must have the following:
- ECFMG Certification: In lieu of ECFMG Certification for academic year 2021-2022, SJMC will be honoring the five ECFMG pathways.
J-1 Visas: St. Joseph’s Medical Center of Stockton, Dignity Health accepts J-1 visas but does not provide any visa sponsorship or any immigrant or nonimmigrant Visas. Noncitizens will be asked to provide a copy of a document that establishes employment authorization by the date of their interview. Further J-1 visa information is available at: http://www.ecfmg.org/evsp/
Factors Important in the Resident Selection Process Include:
- Graduation from an approved medical school determined by using the California Medical Board list of recognized schools within the past two years
- Academic qualifications
- Dependability, responsibility, maturity, courtesy, confidence
- Leadership skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Sense of humor and work ethic
- US Clinical Experience
- We will not accept applications from students who have failed USMLE Step 2CS or COMPLEX Level 2PE or who have more than one failure on USMLE Step 1 or Step 2 CK; or COMPLEX Level 1or Step 2 CE
- Applicants from the Central Valley of California will be strongly considered