Expertly Treating Back Pain in Northern California
Back pain occurs between your lower neck and tailbone on the back of your body and includes any type of pain or discomfort. Acute back pain is sharp or stabbing and comes on suddenly. Chronic back may feel more dull and achy, building gradually and lasting for months.
If you are living with back pain that won’t go away with home treatment, Dignity Health North State can help. Our doctors provide expert orthopedic services designed treat pain at the source. Find a Doctor to get relief from your back pain in Northern California at one of our three convenient locations:
Symptoms that May Occur with Back Pain
You may also notice these symptoms with back pain:
- Sciatic pain, or pain that runs through the buttocks and down one leg
- Pain in the shoulder, neck, or hip
- Redness, warmth, or swelling in the back
- Stiffness and trouble moving
- Depression or anxiety
- Fatigue or difficulty sleeping
If back pain is affecting your daily activities or if you have persistent or severe back pain, see a doctor.
When the nerves in the lower spine undergo compression, permanent nerve damage can occur. If your low back pain is accompanied by worsening weakness or numbness in your legs or arms or by a loss of bowel or bladder control, seek immediate medical care.
Back pain can be a sign of a heart attack or other life-threatening condition. If you are experiencing back pain along with difficulty breathing or with jaw, abdominal, or chest pain, go to the emergency room or call 911.
What Causes Back Pain?
Some causes of back pain are due to structural problems of the back itself, including:
- Muscle strain and spasms from overuse or injury
- Disc problems, including bulging or compression
- Osteoporosis and other conditions that affect the bones of the spine
- Arthritis, including ankylosing spondylitis and osteoarthritis
- Spinal deformities, such as scoliosis
With other causes, pain may radiate to the back from other places in the body:
- Gynecological conditions, including uterine prolapse, premenstrual syndrome, and ectopic pregnancy
- Cardiovascular conditions, including heart attack or aortic aneurysm
- Kidney conditions, including infection or stones
Diagnosing the Cause of Back Pain at Dignity Health North State
Your doctor at Dignity Health North State will use your medical history, physical exam, recent physical activity, and symptoms to diagnose the cause of your back pain. In some cases, your doctor may also order imaging tests, such as a bone scan, MRI scan, or X-ray.
Common treatments for back pain include:
- Over-the-counter pain medicine
- Exercises to strengthen the back
- Corticosteroid shots
- Physical therapy
Your doctor at Dignity Health can help ease your back pain. Make an appointment today to get on the road to recovery.
Dignity Health North State is dedicated to helping patients find relief for back pain in in Mt. Shasta, Red Bluff, and Redding, CA.