Summer Volunteen Program
The Dignity Health Summer Volunteen Program is on hold until 2024. Please check our website in February 2024 for more information.
If you are a high school student between the ages of 14 and 17 years old, you are invited to apply to the Summer Volunteen Program at Mercy Gilbert Medical Center. The Summer Volunteen Program offers an in-depth learning and leadership opportunity for teens interested in the health care industry. Many of our teens find the experiences invaluable and enjoy making a positive impact on our patients, staff, and visitors.
Awards and Accolades
Our Volunteen program has garnered national recognition by several organizations, including the following:
- Winner of the 14th Annual Arizona Governor’s Awards.
- Invited to present at The White House Office of Public Engagement in Washington, D.C.
- Program curriculum published, copy written, and sold to other hospital systems throughout the United States.
Application Dates and Deadlines
All applications will be available online March 1st. Due to the high number of applications we receive, all complete applications will be reviewed and entered into a lottery to be selected to interview. Students selected to interview will be notified via email.
*There will be no Parent Information Session this year.
- March 1st - Application available online
- March 16th - Application cutoff date (4 pm)
- March 27th - Students selected to interview will be notified by email (4 pm)
- April 4th - Interview Date (a.m. interviews only and no alternate interview dates)
- April 16th - Notification of acceptance/regrets to the 2020 Volunteen Program (4 pm)
- May 16th - Mandatory Orientation for new and returning Summer Volunteens (no alt dates)
- June 1st - 2020 Summer Volunteen Program begins
- Must be 14 years of age prior to June 1st
- Must be available to serve one 4-hour shift per week over the summer (7-8 weeks)
- Must attend a minimum of 3 education sessions
- Must demonstrate a desire to assist patients and families, be responsible, interested in learning, and work well with a team.
- Minimum 3.5 GPA is required
- Must not be absent for more than two shifts during the course of the program
Contact Volunteer Services
Thank you for your interest in the Summer Volunteen Program with Dignity Health Mercy Gilbert Medical Center. For more information regarding the Summer Volunteen Program, please call the Volunteer Services Department at (480) 728-7188.