Mercy Gilbert’s commitment to help prevent, diagnosis and treat heart disease is evident in our numerous accreditations.
Accredited Chest Pain Center
Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
To receive accreditation as a Chest Pain Center, Mercy Gilbert underwent a rigorous evaluation by the Society. A visiting team reviews the medical center's ability to assess, diagnose, and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack.
Mercy Gilbert met strict guidelines based upon the following:
- Reducing the time from onset of symptoms to diagnosis and treatment;
- Treating patients more quickly during the critical window of time when the integrity of the heart muscle can be preserved; and
- Monitoring patients when it is not certain that they are having a heart attack to ensure they are not sent home too quickly or needlessly admitted to the hospital.
Designation as a Cardiac Arrest Center
Arizona Department of Health Services
Mercy Gilbert's designation highlights our ability to provide comprehensive, leading-edge care to those experiencing a sudden cardiac arrest.
We had to meet the following criteria:
- Cardiac intervention capabilities, which includes a cardiac catheterization lab and access to an interventional cardiologist 24 hours a day, seven days a week;
- A therapeutic hypothermia method to cool patients for at least 24 hours after a cardiac event, which helps reduce the risk of brain damage; and
- Coordination with local emergency medical personnel to provide specific lifesaving protocols before the patient arrives at the hospital.