LAS VEGAS, December 29, 2021 – Are you making a resolution to eat healthier in the New Year? The Registered Dieticians at our Dignity Health Wellness Centers have some tips as you set out to achieve your goals.
- First, set yourself up for success. Make healthy eating resolutions you are honestly confident you can achieve.
- Second, be specific! Pledges like "Eat Healthy" or "Watch what I eat" won’t get results. Set specific behaviors, like "Eat a vegetable with dinner every night" or "Cook a meatless meal once a week" or "Stop drinking sugary drinks." These work better to actually achieve results.
- Next, our brains do better with DOs, rather than DO NOTs. Make healthy eating resolutions that encourage good behaviors: Do include a serving of fruit with most meals. Do eat heart-healthy fish at least once per week.
- None of us plan to fail - but many of us fail to plan! So make a healthy resolution to plan: plan menus, plan grocery lists, plan healthy snacks, plan something to do instead of eating.
- Finally, if losing weight is your goal, focus on decreasing your calories IN, and increasing your calories BURNED. But how that looks is really up to you. Your method will be unique to fit your lifestyle. The best "diet" is a healthy lifestyle you can stick with for the rest of your life.
Our Dignity Health Wellness Centers offer classes and information on healthy eating, smart shopping, and other topics that can help you toward your healthier eating goals. Visit our website for details.
About Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican:
As the community’s only nonprofit, faith-based health system, Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican has been guided by the vision and core values of the Adrian Dominican Sisters since 1947. As the Henderson and Las Vegas communities grow, the St. Rose Dominican health system and its nearly 4,000 employees will continue the Sisters’ mission of serving people in need. St. Rose Dominican is a member of the multi-state Dignity Health network of nearly 10,000 physicians, 60,000 employees, 41 acute care hospitals, and 400-plus care centers, including hospitals, urgent and occupational care, imaging centers, and primary care clinics. For more information, visit our website at www.strosehospitals.org. Dignity Health was recently recognized as part of Forbes’ annual list of America’s Best-In-State Employers 2020, as one of the top ten best employers in Nevada.