Fetal conditions are disorders that affect the health of an unborn baby, such as birth defects. Many of these conditions cause health problems after birth. Treatment is often necessary to improve the child’s well being and health. Prompt treatment may help avoid immediate and long-term complications — and can be lifesaving.
At Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican, our maternal fetal medicine specialists are experts in diagnosing and treating fetal conditions in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. In case a complication occurs after birth, our San Martín Campus has a Level II NICU and our Siena Campus has a Level III NICU, the highest level of care. Find an obstetrician online or call (702) 616-4900 to find out more about our neonatal and maternity services.
Causes of Fetal Conditions
Common causes of fetal conditions include:
- Chromosomal or genetic abnormalities
- Exposure to certain environmental conditions, toxins, and medications
- Tobacco, Illicit drug, and alcohol use during pregnancy
Sometimes, there is no known cause for a fetal condition.
Common Symptoms of Fetal Conditions
Some symptoms of fetal conditions can be seen and diagnosed before the baby is born. Others are not obvious or diagnosed until after birth.
Signs and symptoms of fetal conditions include:
- Brain damage
- Vision, hearing, coordination, and movement problems
- Missing or deformed limbs or organs
- Difficulty eating or breathing
Symptoms and their severity vary depending on the type of fetal condition.
Types of Fetal Conditions
Musculoskeletal System (Muscles, Joints, & Bones)
- Orthopedic abnormalities
- Skeletal dysplasias
- Sacrococcygeal teratomas
Heart & Lungs
- Hypoplastic left heart
- Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation
- Congenital heart disease
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia
- Pleural effusions
- Transposition of the great vessels
- Lung masses
- Meckel diverticulum
Brain & Nervous System
- Hydrops fetalis
- Spina bifida
- Neural tube defects
Other Fetal Conditions
- Urinary tract obstruction
- Cleft palate and lip
- Amniotic band syndrome
- Fetal alcohol syndrome
- Cystic hygroma
- Infectious complications
- Fetal anemia
At Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican, we provide world-class care for mothers with high-risk pregnancies that may result in birth defects or other fetal conditions.
Preventing Fetal Conditions in Las Vegas, NV
Genetic counseling can help couples understand the risk of certain genetic conditions. You can decrease your baby’s risk of developing fetal conditions by:
- Taking a daily multivitamin with at least 400 micrograms of folic acid to decrease the risk of certain birth defects. In fact, doctors recommend that all women of childbearing age take a daily folic acid supplement.
- Keeping immunizations up to date to decrease your risk of contracting an infection that could harm the unborn baby.
- Avoiding alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drugs while pregnant.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican offers compassionate care and personalized treatment for fetal conditions in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.