Gastric Banding is performed by placing a band on the upper portion of your stomach forming a small pouch above the band, while the rest of your stomach remains below the band. The band can be filled with saline through a subcutaneous port thus decreasing how much food can pass through resulting in decreased hunger. You eat smaller amount of food which satisfies your hunger and promotes a feeling of fullness. The size of the stomach opening is adjustable and can be done through a saline injection placed under your skin.
Benefits of Gastric Banding
There are many benefits to gastric banding as a surgical weight loss option:
- Reduces the amount of food your stomach can take in, but does not affect how your stomach functions.
- Requires no bypass or re-routing of your intestines.
- Is reversible and adjustable based on your needs.
- Can be done as an outpatient procedure.
- Low rates of postoperative complications and low risk of vitamin deficiencies.
Find Out More
To learn more about our weight loss surgery program, please call (480) 728-5673. We will be happy to help.