A maternal condition is any health condition in the mother that may affect the pregnancy or unborn baby.
At Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican, we are committed to keeping you and your baby healthy throughout your pregnancy and the labor and delivery process. That's why we offer specialized care to women with maternal conditions in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. Call (702) 616-4900 or Find a Doctor online who delivers at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican.
Common problems during pregnancy include:
- Gestational diabetes. Consistently high blood sugar during pregnancy.
- Premature rupture of membranes. The release of amniotic fluid from the sac protecting the baby (water breaking) before the end of pregnancy.
- Cervical incompetence. The cervix opens before the end of pregnancy.
- Mullerian abnormalities. Issues with the uterus and vagina that can cause problems with pregnancy and conception.
- Isoimmunization. Conditions resulting from blood type differences in the mother and baby — if an Rh-negative mother is pregnant with an Rh-positive baby.
- Preeclampsia. A potentially dangerous pregnancy complication marked by high blood pressure.
- Multiple gestation. Pregnancy with more than one baby, such as twins, triplets, and quadruplets.
As part of our dedication to you and your baby, St. Rose Dominican is proud to be the only Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in the region, advancing medical research and community awareness of children's health issues.
What Causes Maternal Conditions?
Some maternal conditions are present since birth (congenital), such as Mullerian abnormalities. Other possible causes of maternal conditions include infection, genetic inheritance, and injury. In many cases, the causes of maternal conditions are not known.
Signs of Maternal Health Care Problems
The symptoms of maternal conditions depend on the specific condition and vary greatly. At Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican, our doctors carefully assess the health of pregnant women, taking note of any history of medical issues and signs of problems.
If your health care provider notices any signs of maternal conditions, such as unusual fetal development, high blood pressure, or high blood sugar levels, he or she will likely order additional tests to rule out or confirm a medical diagnosis.
Treatment to Improve Maternal Health at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican
Regular pregnancy checkups, screenings, and scans can help prevent some maternal conditions. In some instances, a condition may develop despite you and your health care provider’s best efforts.
At each pregnancy care visit, your doctor checks your health. Your doctor also carefully monitors your baby’s development and health status and will intervene if necessary.
Good pregnancy care can identify most maternal conditions. Proper treatment of high-risk pregnancies can increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy and birth and prevent most serious complications.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican obstetricians provide compassionate care for maternal conditions in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.