Cardiac arrest occurs when the heart stops beating. This is a medical emergency that requires immediate medical treatment.
If you or a loved one has signs or symptoms of cardiac arrest, call 911. Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals provides complete care for patients in cardiac arrest in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. Learn more by calling (702) 616-4900 or using our Find a Doctor tool. We specialize in cardiac procedures and treatment for sudden cardiac arrest.
Symptoms of Cardiac Arrest
A person whose heart stops beating will quickly lose consciousness and collapse. This is a clear sign of cardiac arrest. When you check the person’s pulse, there will not be one because the heart has stopped. When cardiac arrest occurs, the person also stops breathing.
The most common cause of cardiac arrest is an arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). Signs and symptoms of an arrhythmia that can occur before cardiac arrest include:
- Feeling dizzy, woozy, or lightheaded
- Rapid or erratic pulse
- Unusually slow pulse (fewer than 60 beats per minute)
- Heart palpitations (fluttering or pounding heartbeat)
- Shortness of breath
Cardiac Arrest Causes
An arrhythmia called ventricular fibrillation is a common cause of cardiac arrest. This can occur when the large chambers of the heart stop beating rhythmically and instead begin to quiver or flutter. As a result, oxygen-rich blood may not be able to reach the tissues — including the brain and the heart itself. Eventually, the heart muscle will stop beating.
Treatment for Cardiac Arrest in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV
Your treatment for cardiac arrest will depend on the specific cause. However, immediate treatment will likely include:
To prevent cardiac arrest, you should:
- Treat and monitor any known electrical signaling problems of your heart
- Treat and monitor any known heart conditions such as high blood pressure or heart valve disease
- Discuss with your doctor the potential side effects of any medication you take to correct a heart rhythm problem
- Engage in a heart-healthy lifestyle to avoid developing heart failure
- Have a heart examination before competing in sports activities
- Avoid illicit drugs
Start your journey to a stronger heart by taking our online heart health assessment or enroll now in a heart health class.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals provides expert care for patients in cardiac arrest in Henderson and Las Vegas, NV.