Your spine consists of 33 bony vertebrae plus spinal discs, muscles, ligaments, tendons, fluid, and your spinal cord. Damaging or injuring any part of the spine can cause spinal problems.
Come to Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals for personal care for your spine condition or injury in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. We can diagnose the cause and make sure you receive the right treatment. Find an orthopedist at St. Rose near you today.
Common spine conditions and injuries we treat include:
- Spinal cord compression
- Spinal nerve compression
- Herniated discs
- Spinal stenosis
- Spinal deformity
- Spinal fractures
- Spinal tumors
Causes & Symptoms of Spine Conditions & Injuries
Spine conditions can be present at birth. However, degenerative joint disease, arthritis, repetitive strenuous activities, improper lifting, and trauma are also common causes of spinal problems.
Signs and symptoms of common spine conditions and injuries depend on which spinal nerves are affected. Generally, spinal problems cause back pain, which may worsen with movement or limit your movement. Spine conditions that affect your spinal cord can lead to a wide range of symptoms because your spinal cord carries nerve impulses throughout your body.
Nerve symptoms include:
- Loss of coordination, difficulty walking, or climbing stairs
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Pain, numbness, tingling, or weakness throughout your arms or legs, depending on the affected nerves
It’s important to see a doctor right away if you have back pain with nerve symptoms. Some spinal conditions and injuries require urgent (same day) or emergency care.
Spine Condition & Injury Treatment at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
Treatment and prevention options differ for each spine condition or injury. Your treatment will also depend on your medical history and risk factors.
Many spine conditions and injuries respond to rest, ice, and anti-inflammatory medicines. Sometimes, corticosteroid shots, back braces, or surgery are necessary. Physical therapy can help manage active symptoms and prevent future problems.
You can keep your back as healthy as possible by:
- Maintaining a healthy weight to reduce strain on your back
- Maintaining good posture — avoid slouching and keep your head in line with your shoulders and hips, whether you are standing or sitting
- Strengthening your back muscles and your abs, which also helps with good posture
- Using proper body mechanics while lifting — lift with your legs, keeping the item close to your body
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican diagnoses and treats back conditions and injuries in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.