Skip to Main Content

Medical Consent for Minors

When you leave home, it’s important to provide for your child’s protection. This involves more than just arranging for a sitter – you should also leave written authorization for a responsible adult to consent to medical treatment in your absence.

Unless a child's injuries are life threatening, hospitals are required by law to have permission from a parent or guardian before treating children under age 18. It is our policy to always attempt to reach the child's parent(s).

When you go out of town and leave your child in someone else's care, you should complete a consent form for each child. The form should be given to the adult with a copy of your insurance card in the event your child needs medical care while you're away.