Sleeve Gastrectomy is a restrictive procedure that removes 80 percent of the stomach. The new stomach is a tubular banana size pouch that holds much less food than the normal stomach and helps to significantly reduce the amount of food (a)nd thus calories that can be consumed. Although this surgery drastically reduces the size of the stomach, it will still function normally afterward.
Since Sleeve Gastrectomy does not involve any bypass of the intestinal tract, it can be performed using a minimally invasive, laparoscopic surgical technique.
Sleeve Gastrectomy or Gastric Sleeve refers to a procedure in which the stomach is divided vertically allowing relatively normal processing of food and nutrients. This procedure is the most commonly performed bariatric surgery and allows you to decrease portion sizes as you feel full sooner and stay full longer. There is significant resolution of comorbid obesity-related diseases post operatively like; diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, etc.
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy
There are many benefits to sleeve gastrectomy as a surgical weight loss option:
- Limits the amount of food your stomach can take in, but does not affect how your stomach functions.
- It reduces how much food you can eat after surgery, but places fewer restrictions on what types of food you can eat, unlike the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Requires no bypass or re-routing of the food stream.
- Usually involves only an overnight stay in the hospital
- Induces hormonal changes that suppress hunger and reduce appetite.
Find Out More
To learn more about our weight loss surgery program, please call (877) 428-6478. We will be happy to help.