Emergency Blood Tests at St. Rose Dominican Hospital in Henderson and Las Vegas, NV
A blood test involves taking a sample of your blood and sending it to a lab for analysis. Blood tests are necessary in our emergency rooms at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican to quickly gain information that can help diagnose and manage medical emergencies.
If you’re concerned about your symptoms, find a quick diagnosis with a blood test in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. If you’re going to an emergency room, use our hospitals' online waiting services to select your estimated arrival time.
What to Expect from Your Blood Test
In the emergency room, one of our doctors, nurses, or technicians will draw your blood. This may require several tubes (or vials) of blood, depending on the test. The provider who draws your blood will apply pressure to the site to stop the bleeding, and you will have a small bandage or cotton ball to absorb any remaining blood. Once the sample goes to the lab, it takes about an hour to get the results.
Then, your doctor will discuss the results and next steps with you.
Why We Perform Blood Tests in the ER
Emergency blood tests fall under the following general categories:
- Drug testing show doctors the amount of a drug in the blood. These tests may be necessary to identify drug toxicity or overdose due to digoxin (slows heart rate to treat atrial fibrillation), acetaminophen (treats pain and reduces fever), lithium (treats depression), ethanol (alcohol), theophylline (treats respiratory diseases, COPD), and phenytoin (controls seizures).
- Microbiology tests tell doctors if there are fungi, bacteria, or parasites in the blood. Examples include cultures to grow the organism and sensitivity tests to find out which drugs will work to fight the infection.
- Clinical chemistry tests give doctors information about substances in the blood that may be a sign of disease or organ dysfunction. Examples of clinical chemistry blood tests include hormone, electrolyte, and enzyme levels.
- Hematology tests look at the amount of blood cells and plasma parts in the sample and how they work. Examples include a CBC (complete blood count) and tests of blood clotting ability.
- Blood bank tests allow doctors to determine the type of blood that will be compatible for transfusion. Examples include blood typing and cross-matching tests for antibodies.
In addition to our emergency services, we provide expertise in a variety of diagnostic tests, including emergency blood tests.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals provides complete emergency care and blood tests for patients in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.