Chest pain is any type of pain or discomfort between your upper belly area and your lower neck. It may feel like a tightness, pressure, fullness or burning sensation in your chest. People describe chest pain as sharp, dull, throbbing, crushing, cramping, or achy.
At Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican hospitals, we can help get to the source of your chest pain with cardiac testing and the expertise of our team of specialists. Find a Doctor or call (702) 616-4900 get a referral.
When to Seek Emergency Care
Chest pain can be a life-threatening symptom, as it is a well-recognized sign of a heart attack and other serious heart conditions.
This is why you should seek immediate emergency care (call 911) if you have:
- Chest pain or intense pressure in your chest
- Shortness of breath, sweating, or chest pain while you are resting
- Pain that moves to your shoulder blades, jaw, or left arm
Other serious symptoms that might indicate a life-threatening condition include:
- Cold, clammy skin
- Bluish color of the skin, lips, or nails (cyanosis)
- Breathing problems, including shortness of breath, difficulty breathing, labored breathing, wheezing, not breathing, or choking
- Dizziness or disorientation
Causes of Chest Pain
While many cases of chest pain are caused by problems with the heart, chest pain can also be due to lung diseases, problems with digestion, or anxiety disorders.
Chest pain can be due to problems with the heart or the area surrounding it:
- Blood clot or blockage in an artery in the lung (pulmonary embolism)
- Collapsed lung (pneumothorax)
- Inflammation of the lining of the lung (pleurisy)
- Fluid buildup in your lungs (pulmonary edema)
- Heartburn or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Gallbladder conditions such as gallstones
- Esophageal spasm or disorder
- Gastritis or peptic ulcer
Chest pain also may be due to psychological conditions and types of anxiety, including panic attacks.
Caring for Chest Pain at Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
When you seek care for chest pain, your doctor at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican will ask several questions about your symptoms and medical history. If your doctor suspects you are having a heart attack, you will have an EKG and blood tests. You may also have a chest X-ray to check your lungs.
Dignity Health-St. Rose Dominican hospitals offers diagnosis and treatment options for chest pain in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.