High-Quality Care for Dangerous Blood Clots in Las Vegas, NV
Blood clots are made of blood cells and various clotting components. They are helpful when they stop blood flow from a wound. However, they can be dangerous if they form inside blood vessels. Blood clots can break loose, grow, and cut off blood supply to tissues and organs. A blood clot can cause a heart attack, stroke, and other serious problems.
Use the Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican online waiting service, InQuicker, to select your estimated arrival time at the emergency room for blood clots in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. Call 911 immediately if you or someone near your experiences signs of heart attack or stroke.
What Causes Blood Clots?
Certain factors can increase your risk of developing a blood clot, including:
- Having a personal or family history of blood clots
- Being 65 years or older
- Being sedentary, bedridden, or obese
- Taking hormones, including birth control
- Having heart disease, varicose veins, or recent surgery
Blood Clot Symptoms
Symptoms of blood clots vary depending on where they occur in the body:
- Lung blood clots cause chest pain, shortness of breath, and cough.
- Brain blood clots cause stroke symptoms, including weakness, vision changes, and speech problems.
- Abdominal blood clots cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, and severe belly pain.
- Leg blood clots cause symptoms ranging from mild tenderness and cramping to a bluish discoloration and numbness.
- Heart blood clots cause heart attack symptoms, including difficulty breathing, sweating, and chest pain.
Treating Blood Clots at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican
Treatment of blood clots depends on whether the clot is in an artery or vein. Arterial clots are treated aggressively, often requiring emergency interventions. Sometimes a catheter-based procedure is used to remove or break up the clot. Thrombolytics, or clot-busting drugs, are another option.
For venous clots, anticoagulants (blood thinners) are used to help your blood flow past the clot and prevent the clot from growing You may also need a procedure to place a filter in the large vein that carries blood to your heart (vena cava). The filter will stop the clot from entering your heart or lungs.
You can help prevent blood clots by:
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Staying active
- Following your doctor’s recommendations for treating medical conditions
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican offers emergency services, including treatment for blood clots, in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.