Emergency Care for Chest, Heart, & Breathing Problems in Las Vegas, NV
Having chest pain or difficulty breathing can be frightening and may either be a sign of a serious problem or may only indicate a mild situation. Depending on your exact symptoms, you may need emergency treatment, medication, a lifestyle change, or simply to take it easy until you recover.
Diagnose the cause of your chest, heart, or breathing problem in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV at a nearby Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican emergency room. Call 911 or select your estimated arrival time at one of our hospitals using InQuicker, our online waiting service.
Chest, Heart, & Breathing Problem Symptoms
The signs and symptoms vary for each of the conditions that can cause chest, heart, and breathing problems. If you experience symptoms of a heart attack, including pressure in your chest, severe indigestion, or pain in your arms, shoulder, mouth, or back, call 911 immediately. Other symptoms of chest, heart, and breathing problems can include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Cough, sometimes with mucus
- Congestion or wheezing
- Fever or chills
- Dizziness, fatigue, or weakness
- Irregular heartbeat, either too fast, too slow, or the feeling of “skipping” beats
- Chest pain, including sharp, stabbing, burning, or aching pain, or pain under the breastbone
- Bluish skin or lips
- Swelling in the ankles or legs
- Excessive sweating
What Causes Chest, Heart, & Breathing Problems?
Conditions that can cause chest, heart or breathing problems include:
- A heart attack, which can be life threatening and requires emergency treatment — call 911
- Pneumonia, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema
- Pulmonary hypertension, or high blood pressure in the lungs
- Pneumothorax, a collapsed lung
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm or dissection
- Inflammation in the cartilage covering the trachea, called epiglottitis
- Allergies, which can occasionally be life threatening — call 911 if you have a severe allergic reaction
- Chronic heart failure
- Pericarditis, inflammation of the moist membrane that covers the heart
- Heart defects from birth, called congenital heart disease
- A hiatal hernia, when part of the stomach goes into the chest cavity through the diaphragm
- A clot blocking blood flow to the lungs or heart, which can be life threatening and requires immediate medical treatment — call 911
Treat & Prevent Chest, Heart, & Breathing Problems
Treatment and prevention strategies for chest, heart, and breathing problems depend on the condition. For example, if you are overweight or obese, getting your weight under control can ease your symptoms. Other conditions, such as a hiatal hernia, may require surgery. Others, including allergies, may be treated with medication or hospitalization, depending on the severity of the problem.
Because some conditions are serious and can be life threatening, seek medical help as soon as possible if you suspect something is wrong. If you believe you have had a heart attack, do not try to drive yourself to a hospital. Call 911 for emergency help.
Our emergency team may recommend that you receive follow-up care from one of our primary care doctors. You can Find a Doctor near you using our online tool.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican offers emergency services for chest, heart, and breathing problems in the Greater Las Vegas and Henderson area.