Stroke is an urgent medical emergency, just like a heart attack, and medical help is needed right away! If you suspect that you or your loved one is having a stroke, call 911. When stroke happens, St. Rose Dominican's three hospitals are here to help, fast.
Knowing the signs and symptoms of stroke can help you make sure the injured person receives medical attention as quickly as possible.
Signs of Stroke
The most common signs and symptoms of stroke are sudden:
- Loss of movement, especially on just one side of the body
- Weakness in the arms or legs, especially on just one side
- One-sided weakness or sagging of the face
- Inability to speak a coherent sentence
- Vision loss or disturbance in one or both eyes
- Severe headache coupled with any other stroke symptoms
To quickly assess whether a person might be experiencing a stroke, act FAST:
- F for Face: Is the person’s smile lopsided?
- A for Arms: If the person extends both arms to the sides and raises them to shoulder level, does one arm droop?
- S for Speech: Does the person have difficulty speaking a simple sentence like “the sky is blue today”?
- T for Time: If the answer to any of these questions is “yes,” call 911 immediately.
Early Stroke Diagnosis at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
A stroke diagnosis usually occurs in the emergency department of a hospital. Generally, our doctors at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican can diagnose stroke based on the physical signs alone. However, your neurologist may order a computed tomography (CT) scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the head to determine whether the stroke is caused by bleeding or by a blood clot. Different types of stroke require unique treatments.
Diagnosing stroke quickly is crucial to treatment. If the stroke is caused by a blood clot, it can be treated by thrombolytic (clot-busting) medication within two hours of onset of the event.
You can trust your entire stroke cake to our expert team at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican offers diagnosis and treatment for stroke signs and symptoms in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.
Find a Doctor at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals to learn more about the symptoms and treatment for a stroke in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV, as well as our Joint Commission Certified Primary Stroke Centers.