Your hip is the joint that is located where your hip bone (pelvis) and thigh bone (femur) come together. The hip also includes the ligaments, tendons, cartilage, and other soft tissues in and around the joint. Hip surgery is performed to repair a hip problem. Common types of hip surgery are:
Find an orthopedic surgeon at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican's San Martin or Siena hospitals or call (702) 616-4900 to find out more about undergoing hip surgery in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. We offer award-winning treatments, earning Joint Commission Certifications for our hip replacement programs.
Why Hip Surgery is Performed
Your doctor may recommend hip surgery for many reasons, including the treatment of chronic pain or disability caused by:
- Dysplasia, when the hip joint doesn’t develop normally causing the joint to wear out
- Hip joint injuries, including fractures, dislocations, torn cartilage, and overuse injuries
- Inflammatory forms of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis
- Bone tumors, and loose bone fragments and cartilage pieces
- Traumatic arthritis, which is similar to osteoarthritis and develops after a fracture or severe sprain or strain
- Osteoarthritis, the breakdown of cartilage and bone
- Osteonecrosis, or death of bone (very rare)
- Other hip symptoms, including pain, swelling, stiffness, instability, locking, catching, and snapping
Hip Surgery at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
Your hip surgery will take place at a Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican's San Martin or Siena hospital. The type and extent of the incision and surgery will depend on the reason for surgery and the procedure itself. Arthroscopic procedures are minimally invasive, while other forms of hip surgery may either be open surgeries or minimally invasive. Hip surgery will likely require general anesthesia.
Recovery after Surgery
You will likely go home after arthroscopic hip surgery, but you may need to spend a few days in the hospital for other types of hip surgery. Rehabilitation may also be needed.
Physical therapy is a critically important part of recovery from any type of hip surgery to help you regain hip strength, function, and flexibility.
Regain your movement and lifestyle with the hip surgeons at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican's San Martin and Siena Campuses offer many types of hip surgeries in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.