Customized knee surgery
Knee surgery is used to repair a problem with one of the structures in your knee, including the bones, cartilage, ligaments, or tendons.
Common types of knee surgery include:
- Arthroscopy, a minimally invasive surgery for a variety of knee problems and injuries
- Knee replacement, including partial knee replacement, total knee replacement with an artificial knee, sensor-assisted knee replacement, and custom knee replacement
- Knee revision to replace a previous knee implant
At Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican's San Martin and Siena hospitals, we also provide preserving knee implants, and ACL reconstruction surgery, and have been awarded Joint Commission Certifications for our knee replacement programs. Find an orthopedic surgeon or call (702) 616-4900 to schedule a consultation for knee surgery in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV.
Why knee surgery is performed
Knee surgery may be needed for a number of reasons, from arthritis to knee injuries. Your doctor may recommend knee surgery to treat knee pain or disability by repairing torn ligaments, tendons, and cartilage, removing loose bone, and reconstructing your knee after major trauma.
Knee surgery may be a good option for you if:
- Knee pain and stiffness interfere with your daily activities
- Knee pain is present even at rest
- X-rays show severe joint damage or loss of cartilage and bone
- The knee is deformed
- The knee is weak, unstable, and gives way when you use it
- Other treatments, including anti-inflammatory medicines, physical therapy, and joint injections haven’t worked
What to Expect
The details of your knee surgery, such as the size of the incision and how long it will take, depend on the specific procedure. Arthroscopic surgery generally takes the least amount of time and creates small incisions. Other types of knee surgery may take longer and involve larger incisions.
Recovery after knee surgery
Minor knee surgeries, such as arthroscopy, are usually outpatient procedures. For major knee surgeries, you may need to spend several days in the hospital and, possibly, in a rehabilitation center before you can go home.
Physical therapy is an important part of knee surgery recovery. Knee replacements typically involve several weeks of rehabilitation. Physical therapy will help you regain strength, flexibility, and function in your knee, helping you return to your normal activities.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican's San Martin and Siena Campuses provide expert care for patients undergoing knee surgery in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.