Sports medicine focuses on the nonsurgical treatment, diagnosis, and prevention of sports-related injuries. Sports medicine doctors care for athletes, teams, and other physically active people. They are experts in helping people who want to improve their athletic performance or general fitness, and prevent injuries while engaging in exercise or sports.
Take an online joint pain assessment and Find a Doctor at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals who practices personalized sports medicine in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. You can also get in touch by phone at (null) null-null.
Conditions Treated by Sports Medicine Doctors
A sports medicine doctor may treat the following conditions:
- Muscle and tendon strains such as hamstring and groin pulls
- Broken or fractured bones including collarbone, leg, hand, wrist, and arm fractures
- Back pain occurring with sports or exercise
- Overuse injuries, including tendonitis, shin splints, and stress fractures
- Female athlete triad, a condition that includes decreased bone density, inadequate calorie intake, and menstrual cycle changes
- Heat injuries, including heat stroke, dehydration, and heat exhaustion
- Foot pain from conditions such as bursitis, bone spurs, plantar fasciitis, and arthritis
- Skin injuries, including heat rash, chafing, and blisters
- Ligament and joint injuries such as ACL injuries, meniscal tears, sprained ankles, knee pain, shoulder impingement, cartilage injuries, shoulder dislocations, frozen shoulder, and tennis elbow
- Head injuries, including concussion
Sports Medicine Treatments at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
Sports medicine doctors design treatment plans that may include the services of athletic trainers, physical therapists, and other doctors. The treatment plan varies depending on your diagnosis.
Orthopedic surgeons who complete sport medicine fellowships can treat sports-related injuries that require surgery. Not all sports medicine doctors perform surgery.
Sports medicine treatments may include:
- Guidance for training, including cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility exercises
- Arthrocentesis to remove fluid from a joint and test it for infection and other conditions
- Physical therapy to improve fitness, mobility, and strength
- Return-to-play decisions for injured and sick athletes
- Medications, including steroid injections and anti-inflammatory medicines
- Initial treatment and stabilization for serious injuries on the sports field; onsite care can also include bandaging, splinting broken bones, and suturing cuts
- Postsurgical rehabilitation and recovery to help people return to exercise and sports, including rehab after surgery for bone fractures, ligament injuries, hip and knee replacement, carpal tunnel syndrome, back pain, and back problems
- Sports team health care, including injury assessment and management, sports physicals, and substance abuse and sports psychology issues
- Sports nutrition guidance such as advice about hydration and supplements
- Healthy lifestyle plans to help people, including those with chronic diseases, achieve better fitness and health
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican offers a range of sports medicine services in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.