Personalized Treatment for Yeast Infection in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV
A yeast infection (candidiasis) is caused by an overgrowth of Candida yeast. This type of yeast is naturally present in the vagina. When too much of it is present, however, uncomfortable symptoms can occur. Nearly 75 percent of all women have experienced at least one yeast infection in their lifetime.
Find a Doctor or call Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals at (702) 616-4900 to get treatment for one-time and recurring yeast infection in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.
Yeast Infection Causes
A number of factors can lead to a yeast infection, including:
- Antibiotics. Antibiotics can kill the “good” bacteria that help keep yeast under control. Long-term antibiotic treatment may need to include supplements to decrease the risk of yeast infection.
- Diabetes. Yeast infections are common in women with uncontrolled diabetes because yeast eat the extra sugar in their bloodstream. Frequent yeast infections are a warning sign of diabetes.
- Corticosteroids. Steroid medications weaken the immune system, increasing likelihood of yeast infection
- Weakened immune system. Medical treatments and diseases that lower immunity — such as chemotherapy and HIV — increase the risk of yeast infection.
- Pregnancy. Women are more susceptible to yeast infections during pregnancy.
- Hormones. Yeast thrive in a high-estrogen environment. Taking birth control pills or hormone supplements can increase your estrogen level and risk of yeast infection. Natural hormonal swings (such as those that occur during perimenopause, pregnancy, and puberty) can also increase the likelihood of yeast infection.
Yeast Infection Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of a yeast infection include:
- A burning sensation, especially during intercourse or urination
- Genital irritation and itching
- Vaginal soreness and pain
- Red, swollen vulva
- Thick, whitish vaginal discharge
- Watery vaginal discharge
Yeast Infection Treatment at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
Treatment and prevention options are focused restoring a normal vaginal environment.
Many vaginal infections have similar symptoms, so an appropriate diagnosis is key to effective treatment.
Treatment options for yeast infection include:
- Oral medication. Sometimes, a single prescription pill is enough to treat a yeast infection. Health care providers may prescribe multiple doses over a period of days or weeks to treat recurring or severe yeast infections.
- Prescription creams or suppositories. In some cases, prescription medication is less expensive than over-the-counter medication.
- Over-the-counter creams and suppositories. Numerous antifungal treatments are available over-the-counter, including week-long treatments, three- and five-day regimes, and one-dose treatments.
Other strategies to prevent yeast infection and reduce symptoms include:
- Avoiding tight-fitting undergarments and pants
- Wearing cotton underwear
- Minimizing or avoiding antibiotic use
- Changing out of wet clothing as soon as possible
With the right treatment, most yeast infections go away in a few days.Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals offers quality gynecology services, including treatment for yeast infection, in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.