Personalized Gynecologic Surgery in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV
Gynecologic surgery is used to treat problems of the female reproductive system. Your OB/GYN may recommend surgery to treat a variety of conditions. Many gynecologic surgeries can be performed using minimally invasive techniques, where the surgeon uses tiny incisions in the abdomen or vagina, instead of making large incisions in the abdomen to reach reproductive organs.
The women’s health experts at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals can help determine whether your condition requires gynecologic surgery in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV. Find an OB/GYN near you who performs gynecologic surgeries at St. Rose Dominican hospital's San Martin or Siena Campus to learn more about our options for surgery and personalized care.
Why Gynecologic Surgery is Performed at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
When medications or other treatments have not been effective, your doctor might recommend gynecologic surgery to treat your symptoms. Gynecologic surgical procedures can address many issues, including:
- Cancer, which can affect the uterus, cervix, ovaries, vagina, or vulva
- Endometriosis, when tissue that lines the uterus grows outside the uterus
- Uterine fibroids, or myomectomy surgery, to remove uterine fibroids, which are noncancerous growths that can sometimes enlarge the uterus
- Stress incontinence, when the bladder leaks urine during physical activity, coughing, or laughing
- Ovarian cysts, which can often be removed without removing the ovary
- Heavy menstrual bleeding, which can have many causes, some surgically treatable
- Infertility, which can be caused by endometriosis or blocked fallopian tubes
- Pelvic prolapse, when an organ such as the vagina, uterus, bladder, or rectum moves out of its normal place
What Should I Expect from Gynecologic Surgery?
Gynecologic surgery can be performed as open surgery or minimally invasive surgery. Open surgery involves a large incision and may require an overnight stay in the hospital. Minimally invasive surgery, called laparoscopy, and sometimes robotically assisted, is often an outpatient procedure, depending on what is happening within the body. The type of anesthesia you have depends on your surgical procedure.
Many gynecologic conditions require only minimally invasive surgery, which uses one or more tiny incisions in the abdomen to view and treat problems in the pelvis. Surgery may also be performed through the vagina. Compared to traditional surgery, minimally invasive gynecologic surgery is associated with less blood loss, less pain, and quicker recovery.
Recovering from Gynecologic Surgery
Open surgery involves larger incisions and requires more recovery time than minimally invasive surgery. With laparoscopy, you will likely recover within a few days. Your doctor at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican will give you instructions and any activity limitations during your recovery period. With most gynecologic surgeries, your doctor will let you know when it is safe to resume sex. Talk with your doctor about a specific recovery plan for the type of surgery you will have.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican's San Martin and Siena Campuses provide trusted women’s health services, including a wide range of gynecologic surgeries, in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.