Pelvic pain is pain or discomfort between the bellybutton and pubic bone (lower abdominal region). If it lasts for more the six months, it’s called chronic pelvic pain.
At Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican hospitals, our gynecologists provide personalized, compassionate care for all types of pelvic pain in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV. Call (702) 616-4900 or Find a Doctor online. We also offer a range of women’s health services, including nutrition workshops, wellness classes, and support groups. Sign up for a class or group online.
What Causes Pelvic Pain
Pelvic pain is most often a symptom of another problem, such as:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), an infection of the reproductive organs often caused by sexually transmitted bacteria
- Endometriosis, a condition in which the tissue that lines the uterus is also found outside of the uterus
- Interstitial cystitis (painful bladder syndrome), a condition associated with the sudden urge to urinate
- Adhesions, or bands of tissue that form as part of healing after surgery or injury
- Pelvic floor disorders, including weakened muscles, which make it difficult to control urination
- Uterine fibroids, or noncancerous tumors of the uterus
- Diverticulitis, a condition in which sections of the colon occasionally become inflamed
- Vulvodynia, or pain in the external female genitals
- Irritable bowel syndrome, a condition characterized by frequent bowel movements, loose stools, and abdominal pain
What Does Pelvic Pain Feel Like?
Pelvic pain varies greatly from woman to woman. Symptoms of pelvic pain include:
- Steady pain
- Pain that comes and goes
- Dull or sharp pain
- Pain that worsens during your menstrual period
- Pain during sex
Get Relief From Pain Relief in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV
Depending on your type of pelvic pain, you may have several options for treatment and prevention. Your doctor will tell you about the most appropriate option for you based on your medical history, personal values, lifestyle habits, age, overall health, and the cause of your pain.
Treatment for pelvic pain at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican may include:
- Medication. Health care providers use medication to relieve pain and treat the underlying causes of pelvic pain. Medications that may be used to treat pelvic pain include muscle relaxants, hormone treatments, antibiotics, antidepressants, and pain relievers. It may take time to find the right medication — or combination of medications — to treat your pelvic pain.
- Surgery. If other treatments fail to relieve pelvic pain, your health care provider may recommend surgery. Doctors often use surgery to treat pelvic pain caused by adhesions, uterine fibroids, and endometriosis.
- Physical therapy. Techniques such as strengthening exercises and massage may improve pelvic pain.
- Lifestyle changes. Improving your overall health may improve your pelvic pain. Lifestyle modifications may include eating a more healthful diet and getting regular physical activity.
- Counseling. Group and one-on-one or counseling sessions may help women with chronic pelvic pain.
Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican doctors help relieve pelvic pain for women in Las Vegas and Henderson, NV.