Medical Safe Haven
Resources For Our Patients
At Dignity Health Methodist Hospital's Family Medicine Residency Program, we focus on training family physicians in caring for many different populations. One of our goals is to also train our residents in trauma-informed care for victims and survivors of human trafficking. Dignity Health patients can expect to be treated with respect, dignity, and compassion. We feel our patients deserve a safe, judgment-free space focused on their healing, health, and well-being.
Medical Safe Haven clinics are located in: Sacramento, Redding, and Northridge, CA. Please refer to the contact numbers below for each site. Our caring staff is ready to serve you.
Our Mercy Family Health Center
Our purpose is to provide a safe primary care medical environment for victims and survivors of human trafficking led by understanding physicians and medical staff extensively trained in trauma-informed care.
Feedback: Our Services Support You and Your Health
"The overall professionalism, warmth, sensitivity, and genuine concern of the staff at Mercy Family Health Center (MFHC) has been amazing to witness. From the first day I took my client in, she noticed a complete change in service from her previous provider, she was in utter shock at the kindness she received from everyone at MFHC."
"At her very first visit, Dr. Chambers came in to introduce himself, he wasn't the assigned physician, but the mere fact that he came to meet the patient, explain services and say, "we are here for you and your medical needs" broke down so many barriers and began a connection. Our client didn't understand why he did that but the more we talked about it, she realized he was being REAL! "(Program Manager, Community Against Sexual Harm "CASH")
"Recently, the physicians at MFHC supported our client as she delivered a healthy baby. The care our client has received from the physicians and clinic staff has been exceptional"
"Our client received a framed photo of her and her newborn baby, as a gift from the Mercy Family Health Center that meant so much; it's the little things, the consistency, and follow-through that has helped shaped this relationship and overall experience!"
(Anti-Trafficking Program Manager, WEAVE™)
It is our honor to share in our patient's individual journeys and to participate in their roads of recovery.
*Note, services at each of the Medical Safe Haven clinics can vary.
- Full Spectrum Victim-Centered, Trauma-Informed Primary Medical Care
- Women's Health
- Prenatal and Obstetrical Care
- Newborn, Pediatric and Adolescent Care
- Mental Health Support (including medication management)
- Medicated Assisted Substance Use Treatment
- Annual Physical Examinations
- STI (including HIV) Testing and Treatment
- Contraception, including same-day initiation long-acting reversible contraception (IUD, Nexplanon)
- Referrals for Community Resources (Safe Housing, Case Management, Trauma Therapy)
- Gender Affirming Care, including, but not limited to:
- Hormonal Prescriptions
- Laboratory Testing/Monitoring
- Referrals to Specialists and Surgeons
If you or anybody you know has experienced human trafficking and would like to make an appointment or learn more, please call the direct line and speak to one of our friendly staff at one of these locations:
Sacramento Mercy Family Health Center, Medical Safe Haven, direct line (916) 681-3488
Northridge Family Health Center, Medical Safe Haven, direct line (818) 717-8296
Redding, Mercy Family Health Center, Medical Safe Haven, direct line (530) 225-7839
Referrals to Community Resources
CASH (Community Against Sexual Harm)
International Rescue Committee
Sacramento Regional Family Justice Center
National Human Trafficking Resource Center: 1-888-3737-888 or text "HELP" to BeFree (233733)
- Studio Fox40, Feb. 10, 2017
- Sacramento Bee article, Feb. 17, 2017
- CBS13 News story, April 27, 2017
- Dignity Health Response Program
- Sierra Sacramento Valley Medicine
- End Human Trafficking - podcast from Dec. 17, 2017
- Hospitals Stop Sex Trafficking, CBS Sacramento - January 17, 2018
- Most Sex Trafficking Victims See A Doctor - February 12, 2018
- Health Workers Step Up To Help - February 12, 2018
- Building a Program for Trafficking Survivors
"The physician education, training, and development of a human trafficking victim medical home developed at the Dignity Health Family Medicine Residency Program has been conceptualized and implemented with incredible success. We hope to spread the concept to residencies clinics throughout the country and standardize human trafficking victim and survivor care in physician education and training across the country. It is a viable solution with the potential to synergistically provide widespread healthcare that coincides with training the physicians of tomorrow to recognize and treat this vulnerable patient population. " -Ron Chambers, MD, FAAFP
Learn more about what you can do to support Dignity Health's Human Trafficking initiative.
For information on how you can help your patients, please view the list of helpful Medical Safe Haven resources.