Preparing for pregnancy, being pregnant and having a baby are all exciting—and challenging—times in your life, and you may have many questions. We are here to help. The experienced labor and delivery staff at Dignity Health - St. Rose Dominican provides personalized, expert care for mothers and babies.
Labor & Delivery at St. Rose Dominican
More than 4,000 babies are born every year at St. Rose Dominican's Siena Campus and San Martin Campus. Our comprehensive services include care and support during the prenatal, delivery and postpartum times, and we have a family-centered approach that focuses on the well-being of both you and your baby. The St. Rose Dominican labor and delivery teams look forward to supporting you as you bring a new life into the world. Find a St. Rose obstetrician.
Features of our program include:
- Comfortable birthing suites. We designed our suites to reflect our family-centered philosophy and facilitate family bonding. We encourage significant others to spend the night on the pullout beds in the patient rooms and allow the mother to decide who can be present in the labor and delivery room during the birth experience.
- Your birth, your choice. At St. Rose Dominican, we empower you to deliver your baby in the way that is most comfortable to you. We will support you during the birth process, whether you want to deliver in an unconventional position, walk or sit during labor or opt out of intravenous lines.
- Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC) program. St. Rose Dominican has a strong VBAC program, which makes it possible for women who had previous C-section births to have a natural birth experience. With the guidance and support of our expert labor and delivery team, many women have a smooth, natural birth.
- Advanced neonatal intensive care units (NICUs). If your baby requires extra services and attention, the Level II and Level III NICUs at St. Rose Dominican provide specialized critical care for our littlest patients. Learn more about our NICUs.
- Attentive care. Having a baby is both exciting and stressful. This is why, during the post-delivery stay, our nursing team provides personalized, dedicated care and support for you and your baby. Whether you need breastfeeding help or advice on how to care for your new baby (or yourself), our experienced team will help you feel confident as a new parent.
- Prenatal and postpartum education. We offer instructional classes on topics such as infant care, new mother care, breastfeeding and nutrition. Learn more about our classes and events.
- Donor breast milk program. St. Rose Dominican is the only hospital in the area with a donor breast milk program. With this program, infants whose mothers cannot breastfeed can receive donated breast milk. Breast milk gives babies the best nutrition possible and offers natural protection against infections.
Learn more about the labor & delivery services we provide.
Labor & Delivery Team: Experience and Expertise
St. Rose Dominican has one of the most experienced and skilled teams in Nevada. Our mother and baby teams consist of:
- Laborists - Laborists are board certified obstetricians who are available around-the-clock in our Birth Centers. They can examine soon-to-be-moms, evaluate the progress of labor, and provide a safe delivery if your physician is unavailable or delayed.
- Maternal fetal medicine specialists
- Nurses with 20 hours of breastfeeding education through the International Lactation Consultant Association (ILCA)
- Lactation consultants, counselors and educators
- Obstetrical surgeons
- Obstetrical anesthesiologists
- "Scrub techs," health care professionals who specialize in surgical support
Nearly a dozen of our nurses are International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs), while more than two dozen nurses are Certified Lactation Counselors/Certified Lactation Educators (CLCs/CLEs) through the ILCA. This certification means they can offer exceptional breastfeeding support to new moms. In addition, you can feel confident that even when your doctor is not currently in the hospital, he or she is monitoring your baby's progress via their mobile device. This way, your doctor receives constant updates about your care.
St. Rose Dominican's San Martin and Siena Campuses are the first Baby-Friendly Hospitals in southern Nevada. The designation is earned through the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI), a global initiative of the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). As part of this commitment to infant care, we:
- Encourage immediate skin-to-skin contact between mother and child
- Help initiate breastfeeding within the first hour of life, if the mother chooses to breastfeed
- Provide intensive breastfeeding training to our entire labor and delivery staff, including doctors, lactation specialists and labor and delivery nurses
Labor & Delivery at St. Rose Dominican: What to Expect
What can you expect during labor and delivery at St. Rose Dominican? Personalized care and attention combined with the experience and skill of our labor and delivery team. While every birth is different, here is a general summary of what will happen:
- Before you deliver, take a tour of our Birth Centers. Call (702) 616-4900 for tour information.
- Online registration will ease the admission process when you come to the hospital to give birth. For questions about registration, please call (702) 616-5003 for the Siena Campus or (702) 492-8004 for the San Martin Campus.
- You arrive at the hospital and settle in to one of our comfortable, private birthing suites.
- Our nurses and doctors support you during the labor process.
- If the need for a C-section arises, we make the necessary preparations quickly. Our goal is to begin the procedure within 30 minutes of making the decision to operate.
- Once your baby is here, we encourage rooming in. We believe the best thing for mothers and babies is to stay together, getting to know each other.
- Our ILCA-certified nurses and lactation consultants can offer breastfeeding guidance and support.
- Before you leave the hospital, we will talk to you about our numerous new mom classes and events. Our care and support continues well into the toddler years. Classes are conveniently located at our three WomensCare Centers of Excellence.
WomenCare Center Locations:
WomensCare Center of Excellence, Green Valley
2651 Paseo Verde Pkwy., Suite 180, Henderson, NV 89074
WomensCare Center of Excellence, Henderson
98 E. Lake Mead Pkwy., Suite 301, Henderson, NV 89015
WomensCare Center of Excellence, West
7220 So. Cimarron Rd., Suite 195, Las Vegas, NV 89113
Baby Growth Tracker App
One of our own St. Rose Dominican NICU nurses designed this free mobile app, called the Baby Growth Tracker. The app provides support for pregnant women, new parents and new parents with a baby in the NICU. You can find helpful tips and resources as well as log your baby’s growth and feedings. Learn more about the Baby Growth Tracker app.
Learn more about labor and delivery at St. Rose Dominican:
Find a St. Rose obstetrician. For information or to schedule a tour, call (702) 616-4900.